Our vision is a Columbia River that unites people to fight for clean water, abundant fish and wildlife, and our climate.
Columbia Riverkeeper is committed to achieving this vision by advancing equity, diversity, and inclusion in environmental decisions and our own actions.
Here is our current approach to accounting for and expanding equity, diversity, and inclusion (EDI):
- Incorporate EDI principles in at all levels of our organization. This includes Riverkeeper’s campaigns and programs, membership outreach and development, and partnerships.
- Build and retain authentic and collaborative relationships with frontline communities.
- Work in solidarity with tribal nations and native people to protect the environment and achieve common goals. We recognize that sovereign tribal nations face complex issues far beyond the environment. We are committed to pursue dialogue and confer with tribal nations about our policy decisions.
- Incorporate EDI principles when hiring and training new employees.
- Account for EDI principles to support employee retention.
- Foster an inclusive, supportive work environment for all people.
- Maintain a board that reflects the diverse lived experiences of people along the Columbia River.
- Support and encourage staff and board EDI education through monthly enrichment readings and podcasts, followed by staff and board discussions.
- Participate in deep-dive EDI trainings with professional consultants to gain new perspectives and knowledge.
- Maintain an EDI Team comprised of Riverkeeper staff that meets monthly to select EDI enrichment topics and readings and oversees implementation of the organization’s two-year EDI Plan.
- Acknowledge mistakes. If we take enough risks, we will fail sometimes. Own it. Learn and grow.
- Environmentalist for Black Lives Matter (June 23, 2020)
- We Stand in Solidarity (June 6, 2020)
- Black Lives Matter (June 2, 2020)
- Standing with Immigrant Communities (Aug. 14, 2019)
Read Environmentalists for Black Lives Matter
An Essay by Columbia Riverkeeper Staff Attorney, Simone Anter
We empower people to care for the Columbia.