Get involved with Bradford Island Cleanup, one of the most popular subsistence and recreational fishing sites in the Mid-Columbia.
Bradford Island Public Input Opportunity: Restoration Advisory Board (RAB) Meeting
- What: Bradford Island’s Restoration Advisory Board (RAB) will host a meeting where the public can attend and provide comments on the cleanup process.
- When: June 13, 2023, 5-7 p.m.
- Where: City of Cascade Locks City Hall,140 SW WaNaPa, Cascade Locks, Oregon 97014; and via Zoom.
- Why: People rely on clean water and toxic-free fish. That’s why Columbia Riverkeeper uses the law and grassroots organizing to advocate for cleanup at polluted sites like Bradford Island and surrounding waters.
About the issue
People want to feed their families locally-caught fish from one of the most popular recreational fishing areas in the Mid-Columbia—but the Oregon and Washington health departments warn the fish are too toxic to eat. For over 40 years, the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers (Corps) dumped toxic pollution in and along the Columbia’s shorelines at Bradford Island, located near Bonneville Dam in Multnomah County. Fish caught near the island contain the highest levels of cancer-causing PCBs in the Northwest. Learn more
The RAB integrates public participation by involving the community in the restoration decision-making process. The RAB establishes and maintains a forum with stakeholders for the exchange of information in an open and interactive dialogue concerning the Comprehensive Environmental Response, Compensation, and Liability Act (CERCLA) response activities at the Bradford Island NPL Site. The RAB reviews technical documents and provides comments and advice to the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers (USACE), Portland District, on the proposed response activities.
The public is encouraged to attend in person at the City of Cascade Locks City Hall or attend via Zoom. There will also be an opportunity for public comment. The topics of discussion include:
- RAB Operating Procedures
- Corps recent actions and project site update
- The Federal Facility Agreement
- Additional fish advisory signage
- Administrative Record
Interested in getting involved with Bradford Island?
Contact Kate Murphy, Community Organizer: 541.399.5666 | firstname.lastname@example.org