Leave a legacy of clean water and healthy communities by including Columbia Riverkeeper in your estate planning.
For over 20 years we‘ve thought about the future of our river and all the life connected to it. We’ve done this through grassroots community-driven change, legal and political advocacy, and coalition building. Your support has powered this success!
You can ensure this work continues into the future by leaving a legacy for the Columbia. We have partnered with FreeWill to provide you with this free will writing tool.
You may think estate planning is not for you. So we wanted to address some of the common hesitations about planning ahead that might hold you back:
- But I don’t have an estate! You don’t need to own a villa in France to need an estate plan. It’s important to have a plan for the things that matter to you—like who might take care of a pet, or who you want to have your favorite painting or family heirloom.
- I’m too young to make a will. Whether you’re eighteen or eighty, a will is an expression of care for the people and causes you love, and you do not want to be stuck without one.
- Won’t the government take care of my wishes? In the event that you do not have a will, the government can take control of your assets, making it far more complicated for the people you care for. Taking time today can save your loved ones a headache in the future.
- My spouse has a will, so I don’t need one. You absolutely need one! Even if your plans are identical, both parties should have a legal document. The most important part of estate planning is being prepared for any situation that may arise.
- How can I get started? Through FreeWill, you can create your plan in less than 20 minutes online. You will complete the process with a will that is legally valid in all 50 states, at no cost. Create your plan today.
Estate planning is also an opportunity to create a legacy of hope and care for the causes you value. When you leave a gift to Columbia Riverkeeper, you are investing in the future of clean water and a healthy ecosystem for the Columbia River and its surrounding communities.
Have you been working with an estate attorney and have questions or have you already included Columbia Riverkeeper in your estate plans? Let us know by getting in touch with our Executive Director, Brett VandenHeuvel at firstname.lastname@example.org, or our Donor Relations Manager, Emily Kao at email@example.com.