Columbia Riverkeeper is regularly featured in national media, including stories in the New York Times, Wall Street Journal, and Los Angeles Times, because we work on important climate and clean water issues.
For Media Requests, contact Liz Terhaar, Communications Director: (503.784.5324), email@example.com.
“If the coal industry and the fracked natural gas industry continue to target the Columbia River, we’re going to continue to stand up for the people of the Columbia”
-Brett Vandeheuvel, Columbia Riverkeeper
“Energy should invest in active cleanup rather than reliance on long-lived institutional controls that impinge on tribes’ and the general public’s potential future use of Hanford”
-Dan Serres, Conservation Director
"The value of this science exploration lasts far beyond the day in the field. The teachers are thrilled that our program closely mirrors many of concepts they are covering in the classroom”
-Lorri Epstein, Water Quality Director
- Competing Visions for the Future of Hanford (2018)
- "Computer modeling shows that Lower Snake River dams caused dangerously hot water for salmon in 2015" (2017)
- “Methanol Refining and Export on the Columbia: What You Need to Know” (2016)
- "Crude-by-rail in Oregon: 2012–2016" (2016)
- Hanford Environmental Report (2015)
- Hanford & the River (2013)
Recent Press Releases:
- Portland’s Fossil Fuel Terminal Zoning Amendments Upheld, July 31, 2018
- New Report: U.S. Dept. of Energy’s Vision For Hanford Puts People, Columbia River at Risk, July 17, 2018
- Groups Applaud Decision to Revoke Lost Valley Permit, June 27, 2018
- Over 1,100 Oregonians Urge DEQ to Reject Pollution Increase at Carty Gas Plant, May 1, 2018
- Army Corps Reports Columbia River Dam May Have Spilled 474 Gallons of Oil, March 29, 2018
- Conservation Groups File Lawsuit to Protect Important Farmland, Salmon Habitat near Controversial Columbia River Port, March 14, 2018
- Port of Vancouver Votes to Cancel Oil Terminal Lease, January 9, 2018
- EFSEC Issues Final Reports Unanimously Rejecting Oil Terminal, December 20, 2017
- State Board Rules that Port Of Kalama Violated Washington Law by Failing to Evaluate Greenhouse Gas Impacts, September 18, 2017
- Record Breaking 169,000 Comments Raise Concerns About Water Quality Impacts of Longview Coal Export Terminal, August 27, 2017
- Final Tesoro Savage Public Comment Hearing Draws Strong Opposition to Oil Train Terminal, August 22, 2017
- City of Astoria Opposes Oil-by-Rail along the Columbia River, August 8, 2017
- Dramatic expansion of fracked gas-powered electricity shot down by Oregon regulators, August 8, 2017
- Citizen Groups Vow to Keep Pushing for Fossil Fuel Policy in Portland Despite LUBA Decision, July 19, 2017
- Permits Fail to Address Threats to Climate, Safety, Public Health and Could Consume more Fracked Natural Gas than all the Gas-Fired Power Plants in Washington State, June 29, 2017
- HB 2131 Marred by Secrecy Provisions and Lack of Enforcement, June 28, 2017
- Oral Arguments Today As Oil Industry Attempts to Overturn Portland’s Fossil Fuel Policy, June 15, 2017
River Currents – Print Newsletter:
- Issue 2 2018
- Issue 1 2018
- Issue 3 2017
- Issue 2 2017
- Issue 1 2017
- Issue 3 2016
- Issue 2 2016
- Issue 1 2016
Monthly Online Newsletter:
What's the latest on the Columbia River?
Riverkeeper’s print newsletter and monthly e-newsletter provide the latest information on our work to protect and restore the Columbia.
Riverkeeper in the news:
- Letter: Understanding Riverkeeper's work, Tri-City Herald, August 7, 2018.
- Temperatures predicted to top 100 degrees, Hood River News, August 7, 2018.
- Court Decision Means Portland Can Sharply Restrict Fossil Fuel Terminal Expansion, OPB, August 1, 2018.
- Portland’s efforts to crack down on fossil fuels just won big, ThinkProgress, August 1, 2018.
- When it comes to Hanford's toxic pollution, a fence just isn't enough..., Tri-City Herald, July 17, 2018.
- Riverkeeper: Stronger than ever?, The Daily News, July 15, 2018.
- Oregon revokes permit for mega-dairy Lost Valley Farm, Portland Business Journal, June 28, 2018.
- Montana attorney general blasts Inslee over Millennium project in NYT editorial, The Daily News, June 22, 2018.
- Students learn at Nichols Natural Area, Hood River News, June 13, 2018
- A Year's Worth of Controversy Hasn't Put this Oregon Dairy Under...Yet, OPB News, May 31, 2018.
- The 60-Year Downfall of Nuclear Power in the U.S. Has Left a Huge Mess, The Atlantic, May 28, 2018.
- Oregon officials say they plan to stop mega-dairy violations—again, Oregonian, May 17, 2018.
- DEQ wading through comments about Carty plant, East Oregonian, May 14, 2018
- Army Corps of Engineers say 474 gallons of oil could have spilled into Columbia River, The Oregonian, March 29, 2018.
- Vancouver port, groups reach agreement in open meetings suit, The Columbian, March 20, 2018.
- Riverkeeper hosts volunteer training, Hood River News, March 18, 2018.
- Groups prepare appeal of farmland rezone, South County Spotlight News, March 16, 2018.
- Proposed $2B energy storage project on Columbia inches forward, Portland Business Journal, March 9, 2018.
- Environmental groups call for new review of Kalama methanol plant, The Longview Daily News, March 8, 2018.
- Vancouver Energy ends bid to build nation's biggest oil-train terminal along Columbia River, Seattle Times, Feb. 28, 2018.
- New Permit Would Allow More Pollution From Boardman Plant, AP News, Feb. 22, 2018.