Seeking Membership and Database Specialist to support Riverkeeper’s fundraising, community organizing, and events.
Membership and Database Specialist (Portland)
Organizational Overview: Columbia Riverkeeper (Riverkeeper) is a successful nonprofit organization that protects and restores the Columbia River and all life connected to it. We have offices in Hood River and Portland, Oregon. Riverkeeper is a leader in high-profile campaigns to protect our region from climate change, toxic pollution, and the Hanford nuclear site. Riverkeeper is part of the Waterkeeper Alliance.
Location: Portland, OR
Job Type: Full-time Employee; Non-exempt position (possibility for 32 hours/week if the applicant desires less than full-time).
Position Description: The Membership and Database Specialist will support Riverkeeper’s fundraising, community organizing, events, and communications by managing our Customer Relations Management (CRM) database. This position is a critical part of Riverkeeper’s overall success because it touches all aspects of our work. You will lead the upkeep and use of the database and ensure staff has access to accurate data. This position reports to the Development Director. Duties include:
- Ensure data from donations, events, petitions, and digital platforms are accurately recorded in the database, creating a 360-degree view of supporters and their actions;
- Create database reports to support fundraising, community organizing, communications, and events;
- Manage and quickly resolve issues arising with the CRM or its interface with other platforms; and
- Ensure adequacy, accuracy, and legitimacy of data by developing data cleaning systems.
The Membership and Database Specialist is also an important part of the fundraising team, helping to ensure that all donors are thanked promptly, and requests for support are timely and appropriate to each supporter’s history with the organization. Duties include:
- Process gifts by entering them in the database with correct designation codes and create accurate thank you letters using mail merge within three days of receipt;
- Interface with Director of Finance to ensure database and accounting records reconcile;
- Assist in writing letters, email, invitations, and other fundraising communications;
- Assist with events including RSVP lists, name tags, catering, set-up, and check-in;
- Support major donor fundraising by entering notes and contact history into database;
- Manage outside contractors including mail house and graphic designers;
- Recruit and manage volunteers who assist with data entry, mailings and events;
- Provide technical and administrative support to the development team and Portland office; and.
- May require work beyond 40 hours per week on occasion, some local travel, and lifting of boxes up to 30 pounds.
Required experience and qualifications:
- At least two years of experience in fundraising or administration, preferably at a nonprofit organization;
- At least one year of experience working with Salesforce or another CRM;
- Aptitude with Excel and Google Suite;
- Detail-oriented, organized, and able to meet deadlines;
- Willingness to speak enthusiastically about Columbia Riverkeeper’s work to donors;
- Flexible and able to adjust to evolving job demands;
- Ability to work independently; and
- High school diploma or GED.
Desired experience and qualifications:
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of nonprofit fundraising, database administration, and records management;
- Demonstrated interest and passion for environmental protection and social justice; and
- Associate’s or Bachelor’s degree.
Salary & Benefits: Hourly rate of $18 to $20 per hour, depending on experience. Benefits for full-time position include medical and dental insurance (100% covered, starting first full month), generous vacation package, 401(k), an encouraging and flexible work environment, training, and career growth opportunities.
To Apply: Send an email to email@example.com with the subject line “Membership and Database Specialist application.” Include a pdf attachment containing a cover letter, resume, and a list of at least three references.
Application Deadline: February 4, 2019
Start date: Flexible, prefer immediate.